Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Relocation

Moving makes me weird. For the third time in 14 months we again picked up our stuff and relocated to a condo 7.5 miles west of our previous abode. We like it.

Deb reminded me that over a year ago I had said I would someday like for us to live near the University, and have a waterfront view. (In my own mind I also admitted this to be a pipe dream.) But in God's grace (and the generosity of dear friends) He has given us just that. We're within walking distance of the University. We have a picturesque view of the marina. We watch sea lions eating, and eagles fighting over whatever the sea lions leave behind. We really like it.

But I've also been observing myself during these transition seasons. How is it I can be myopic, bi-polar and ADHD all at the same time? For two weeks all I thought about was moving. When something dumb happened...like the TV audio not working, I was ready to commit an emotional crime. Whenever I started a singular moving-related project I also started four others. I have really confused myself about myself in recent days.

And it wasn't like we were moving between states. We didn't change time zones, zip codes or even our mailing address. It was just a cross-town move. No big deal, right?

I realized, sadly again that I am an idolator. As I get older I crave comfort, and control over my circumstances, and power over my surroundings, even the self-affirmation that I got things done. Yet (in reading Stephen's sermon in Acts 7) I was reminded that God moves people. Abraham got relocated. So did Moses. The apostles moved out and on. Churches get planted because someone is willing to move. And relocation seems to throw a temporary brick at the idols of comfort, control, power and even affirmation.

Moving is like preparing to live. Living is living. It may be I am not too effective at doing both at the same time. I'm just glad Jesus doesn't move even when I'm busy moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment