Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Time for Story

I took our dog for a walk yesterday morning. (Short dog with short legs makes for short walks, low to the snow she is.) I've noticed over the weeks a neighbor working with wood in front of his place during the daylight hours (which seem to gain an hour each week these days.) I finally went and made introductions and to see his ongoing project.

Jerry is a Tlingit (pronounced "Klin-git") native Alaskan, Raven clan. The Tlingit's and Haida's are the dominate tribal groups in Southeast Alaska, and make up between 15% and 22% of our population. Jerry is a single parent of a daughter away at college, and quite proud of her. Jerry works nights as a janitor, and by day is a wood carver; better yet - Jerry is an artist.

Jerry is making a canoe paddle. He told me he is still behind his schedule of making a paddle for each of his departed relatives. By his way of thinking relatives should be honored with a paddle, beautifully decorated. I thought to myself I honor my living relatives by picking up the phone...once every so often. Jerry brought out several of his finished paddles for me to admire.

Jerry told me stories. Jerry communicates with story. His native culture prizes story. We talked about our respective cultures, the strengths and weaknesses of each, and how those cultures sometimes collide. I realized I am a product of a fast-moving culture: West Coast car culture, keeping and meeting self-imposed deadlines, with an eye always on the clock. Jerry's culture is not in a rush; they take time to tell and hear story. Listening to story conveys respect. Jerry does not rush to complete his paddle projects. He told me the paddle is not complete until "the story has come out of it."

Jesus told stories. If I am here to communicate the changeless story of the gospel of Jesus to my new culture and context here in Juneau, I may have to slow down long enough to hear story as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment