Thursday, June 14, 2012

North to the Sun?

I like Fairbanks. I didn't used to, but I like it now. I've been to Fairbanks two of the past four weekends,  and liked it both times.

It's ironic I've had to go to Fairbanks to see the sun. Fairbanks is only 198 miles from the Arctic Circle. But when I've left our cozy abode in the Southeast Alaska rain forest for Fairbanks their weather has allowed me, even encouraged me to ditch the socks and break out the flaps. Ironic indeed.

Fairbanks takes pride in being the "northernmost" of a lot of things. I visited the northernmost brewery in the world. The sun does not set in the summer, at all, ever. I'm surprised anyone gets any sleep. I'm surprised I got any sleep.

It takes some serious effort for its citizens to live in Fairbanks. Their utility bills alone would scare off the rest of civilized society. Churches are forced to deal with the seasons, of which Fairbanks appears to have two; people are out playing in summer, and hunkered down in winter. Neither season encourages church community.

But some of them get it, and get it well. I was hosted by Radiant Church this past weekend. These people are kind, friendly and generous. I was sent home packing moose meat, "canned" salmon, and a hunting rifle. These people are also committed to the cause of Christ. They love each other as fellow sons and daughters of the King. They passionately love their city. They are led by humble and capable elders, Caleb, Mike and Loren, and a host of other servant-leaders. They are on mission. They get it.

They also sent me home encouraged in my own church-planting endeavor. They sent me back home as a partner, a co-laborer, a fellow partaker of gospel reality.

God is present in His people, in His church, even in the far north. I can hardly wait to go back. My flaps need the exercise.


No comments:

Post a Comment