Saturday, December 8, 2012

Biology

For reasons unbeknownst to me I accepted a two-week substitute teaching job. Teaching biology.

I took biology in high school. Mrs. Kasai was an exceptional teacher. I was even her T.A. for a semester my senior year. But it doesn't necessarily mean I learned biology; at least I don't remember learning biology. I took biology in college. "Biology for Non-Majors." No kidding. Five days per week. My classmates and I did the work. Sort of. That was the class where the soon-to-retirement professor took role each day by passing an attendance sheet up and down the rows. My four buddies and I had a system. I attended class on Tuesdays and dutifully signed my amigos in as present. And, no, I didn't learn biology there either. I do remember having a book, and once passing a tapeworm in a jar from one row to the next.

And so this week I found myself "teaching biology." Payback, maybe. Ironically, the unit this week was on "viruses," and I came down with a virus of my own. NyQuil is now my bedtime friend. Biology included lots of terms that took me days to even learn how to pronounce. I told the kids in each class they knew as much about biology as I did. The kids in AP Biology easily agreed.

I learned that some classes and subjects can be "faked." English, history, music, drama and language arts have already provided me ample room for fake teaching moments. If I ever get assigned to a P.E. class I am sure I will be money. But some subjects cannot be faked. Biology is one. And while the "fake it 'til you make it" mandate did improve for me over the week, I will continue to experience a steep learning curve this next week.

I remember reading somewhere that most adults, almost all adults have moments in their work careers when they are sure they are unprepared and under-qualified to do what they're being paid to do; wondering if/when someday someone else will call them out. Being a pastor I more than relate. I also know what it is to feel under-qualified to be a husband and father, still to this day.

Grace is being given something you do not deserve. With God, it's being given a freedom and a status and a community for which I am not qualified. This week, in spite of my own virus field study (head cold) and another week of biology classes I am even more mystified by God's incredible and abundant grace to me.

And I remain thankful that surgeons and airplane pilots and people who build airplanes at Boeing don't feel under-qualified. At least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment