Thursday, January 24, 2013

Roller Coaster

Life is more than simple sustained breathing. Life is people, events and circumstances that change constantly, even for those who doggedly avoid change. Some may say "successful living" is the art and science of being consistent in the face of inconsistencies, and certain in the midst of uncertainties. I would say that consistency and certainty are dependent upon what (Who) that consistency and certainty is founded.

The life of this church-planter, or any church-planter for that matter is one of changes, some expected, some not. For anyone in this profession, or anyone related to someone in this profession, life can feel like a roller coaster. More likely it is living as a kite in God's hurricane. Just in the past month I have experienced both the incredible highs and gut-wrenching lows that are part and parcel to starting a church; all of it good, some of it challenging. Blessed my God loves me enough to continue reforming my heart.

My wife caught a cold. She gave it to me. My health caused me to regretfully cancel a couple of Sunday night gospel community gatherings and lose some "momentum." We both recovered. Then I caught the same (or a different) cold, and gave it to Deb. The gift that keeps on giving this has become. Blessed, I guess.

We've learned recently some people we thought (okay, hoped) would be a part of our initial core community will not be. We also learned recently our dear friends who have walked with us in these initial church-planting days will be regrettably relocating out of town. To borrow a British term, I was and am "gutted," but riding on the roller coaster requires staying in one's seat, and rolling with the punches. Blessed to know Who keeps me upright in the seat.

And...there are high's too. We just enjoyed a long weekend with our daughter and son-in-law. We crammed as much fun as possible into four days together. We love them and loved our time with them. For us it was the first time guests have come to Juneau to see us, not simply passing through on a cruise ship port of call. Deb and I got to be parents in person. Juneau showed herself well. So blessed we are!

I've been surprised (if not astounded) by interest expressed by two different fellas in what we're doing here in Juneau. Both overtures came to me from out of the blue...or directly from the hand and heart of God. And our Tuesday morning "Man School" continues on with guys who continue to be interested and faithful.

This very morning the prayer gathering at the Capitol Building didn't happen. It was rescheduled, to yesterday, and I was out of the loop. Instead, God had me make acquaintance with two nice ladies (who were also out of the loop.) We shared our hearts for Jesus and for Alaska. We stood and prayed in the Capitol lobby. I left encouraged. And unexpectedly blessed.

All of it, highs and lows, are good things; blessings. Blessed to be on the roller coaster. Blessed to know and trust Who keeps me in the seat on the roller coaster, especially when I cannot see the highs and lows yet around the next church-planting corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment