Thursday, January 23, 2014

Faith Forward

It's not often I write passage notes into my prayer journal. My journal is reserved for prayer. Today, however, God spoke to me through Hebrews 11 and my present circumstance. Prayer answered.

1. Faith is evidenced in assurance and conviction of things yet unseen. Just because I cannot see into the future doesn't make anything yet-to-be less certain.

2. Without faith it is impossible for me to live with and for my God. I don't want to be a functional agnostic.

3. Faith is experienced in the willingness to move forward into the unknown with confidence(see #1) and harder for me, optimism.

4. My faith gives me new identity, that of an "alien" living with hope and perspective external to my present circumstance, all with a transformed (and being transformed) world view.

5. My faith's result is new life (see #4) for me, and hopefully for other people.

6. My faith will be the only compelling reason to ever choose the harder way or greater personal risk. What is counter-intuitive is slowly becoming intuitive.

7. My faith is in someone greater than me, Jesus. Faith in faith by itself is perhaps sincere, but for me sincerely wrong. Faith in people (including me) or in institutions will disappoint. My faith is and must be in response toward someone greater than me. My faith calls me to believe and therefore trust a higher sovereignty.

My faith is being tested in these days leading up to our church conducting Sunday worship services. The present seems overwhelming and the future full of risk. How vital it is for me today to believe and find solace in what I just wrote.



(Thanks, Ron Gile for the killer photo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment