Friday, February 17, 2012

What is it you do...exactly?

It's a little strange visiting other churches, like a stranger, like a shopper even. It's even stranger when I'm asked what I "do."

My wife has a responsible and therefore acceptable employment pedigree. She has worked in the past for several school districts. Everyone cares about kids. She has also worked for the State of Washington. In Juneau the Alaska State Government employs more people than anyone else can see fit to hire. Deb will again work for one of those entities...or for someone else. I seriously doubt if she will end up working for the area's second most prolific employer, the fishing industry.

Me on the other hand? People ask me what I do, and I tell them the truth: I'm here to plant a church. Saying that to some people while standing in their own church building after a worship service has caused some looks of consternation while they're probably wondering "What does he think is wrong with my church?" Some other folks have asked me, "Why here?" While my first thought is to respond with a pithy "Why not?" I do find myself answering with "Because I'm 'called' to do this here." One guy asked me, "Who called?"

I even wonder about this myself. What is it I do exactly? In the old days I would have said, "Drink lots of coffee while reading my Bible." Now I pray for people I do not know, yet. I pray for a city and region I am getting to know, and love. I spend time trying to figure out the cultural rhythms and prevailing idols here in our mountain-surrounded, rain-soaked version of Athens. I ask God to give me people to talk to who do not necessarily affiliate with a local church, or with our present yet omnipresent God. And I do ask God to make me busy; real busy. Maybe I should tell people I'm really a missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment