Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cultural Exegesis

"Exegesis" is an academic term used to describe the work of "pulling out" a writer's intended meaning from a written text. ("Hermaneutics" is a broader term describing the work of interpretation, and a somewhat trying if not always interesting seminary class.) Both take into account the original audience, the historical factors present and those truths that remain true to all audiences in all ages. Both require putting assumptions and biases to the side.

We're still quite new to Juneau and Southeast Alaska. We've never lived here before, so it would be arrogant of me to assume I know this place or what's going on. I am beginning the work of "exegeting" our new culture. But with culture the realities are not necessarily written down, something like house rules that are not in print but are widely acknowledged by everyone in the house.

My friend Caleb has reminded me that Alaska is a land of extremes; and I am already finding this to be true. The scenery and weather are certainly extreme. And I am finding a noticeable divergence between various sub cultures in our immediate area. Juneau is our State's Berkeley, or Madison, or Bellingham. The downtown core takes pride in its "liberality." Some of the churches in the Valley seem to emphasize their "separatism" from the greater culture. And there are other Alaskans who fight for their relative isolation and autonomy. And I'm prayerfully trying to figure out my place, my role, my niche, my opportunity to become another mouthpiece for the gospel in this place.

I want to be a partner and not an adversary (or a threat) to the churches already established here in Juneau. I do not want to be guilty of the arrogance that comes with being judgmental, for I am not the first person called to Juneau to preach Jesus and His Kingdom. I do not want to make snap assumptions regarding our culture, nor toward the people who make up our culture.

"We [I] do not know what to do, but our [my] eyes are on You." (2 Chronicles 20:12B). My inabilities, my ineptitude  convince me to approach this calling (and the necessary cultural exegesis) with humility; something like moving forward while on my knees. I'm waiting on my God to tell me what to do, how and when to do it.

I know I am called to preach the timeless, unchanging good news of the gospel of Jesus in a way that can be understood by this immediate culture. Without compromise, but with contextualization while my work of exegesis continues unending.

1 comment:

  1. Paul came also to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek. He was well spoken of by the brothers at Lystra and Iconium. Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him, and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. As they went on their way through the cities, they delivered to them for observance the decisions that had been reached by the apostles and elders who were in Jerusalem. So the churches were strengthened in the faith, and they increased in numbers daily. ...Acts 16:1-40 Brother Mike, your Timothy is somewhere among the good people of Juneau.

    ReplyDelete