Friday, August 10, 2012

Career Sabotage

Here on an early Friday morning I have several unrelated thoughts in my head. 1) I know I'm ready to be done with the Olympics when synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics take over the events calendar, 2) If here in Alaska we are losing five minutes of daylight each day, by my calculations it will be dark by 4PM in December, 3) If it's going to rain every day through December why do I care what time it gets dark?, and 4) What will my life look like in the next weeks?

This week I applied to both UPS (the delivery service, not the private university in Washington) and to Costco. Neither of these employment destinations was ever in my thinking when I was a seminary student. I also looked at openings with Alaska Airlines. The free flights would be nice, but without any current openings there will be no free flights.

I received an email from UPS telling me I will be interviewed. They need a delivery driver here in Juneau. I'm sure they're wowed with my resume. I'm sure the brown uniform will bring out the natural highlights in my hair. But under the category of things I don't know (but God certainly does) I do not yet see how I can work a full time job and plant a church at the same time. But God does.

It's not like I haven't had a marketplace job in the past. I spent most of the 90's selling advertising in airports. I ended up being pretty good at it. But it didn't involve also planting a church (or driving a truck.)

All that aside the "word" I'm getting this morning is, "Don't think; just do!" Wherever and whatever it all ends up being, God is already there. It will be new to me, but not new to Him. This is not career sabotage - it's just transferable skills and resume development. My ego has no bearing in following God's directives. What I think will happen and what will actually happen are probably two different things.

And the other "word" I'm getting? Stop using the word "BUT" in sentences! And go get a haircut!

No comments:

Post a Comment