Thursday, August 23, 2012

Stepping Down on the Accelerator

Things up here in church-plant land have picked up in recent days. Thankfully, life is getting busier.

We've gained some unexpected support from two churches in Alaska. ChangePoint Church in Anchorage and Radiant Church in Fairbanks care about Juneau, Southeast Alaska, and participating in the formation of new churches in our State. It is humbling and exciting for us to be in partnership with these two healthy and influential churches. Conversations continue along the idea of combining our expertise and resources as a statewide church-planting collective. (Picture me as the not yet healthy, influential, short on expertise and resources character in this collective.)

We are meeting more and more people. There is growing interest on the part of several fellas to participate in  theological and missiological training here in Juneau. These guys represent different churches, different denominations, and different personal histories. I am excited to facilitate the equipping of leaders, and we anticipate beginning to do so next month. (Picture us meeting often on early weekday mornings.)

This Sunday is our second "gathering" in our living room. We hope to make this a weekly gathering beginning  in September. We're going to eat together, pray together, study our Bibles together, care for each other, and talk together about the what and why of the Church (big "C".) Deb and I are excited for this. We have friends in business, government, healthcare, and neighbors we hope will join in. (Picture us all crammed into the Rydman's cozy living room.)

In my effort to get around more people I am now on the Juneau School District's substitute list. (Picture me warping the minds of impressionable youth.) I have applied for a counselor position at the "Youth Center," (read: Juvie.) My friend Mark tells me I'm too nice for that job. (I might need a tattoo and some facial scars.) I've applied for a job as a "Graduation Coach" at the alternative high school. (Picture me with a clip board and a sweatshirt that says "I [Heart] Diploma's")

God is stepping down on the accelerator of my life. He's answering my prayers. It's time and I''m ready to pick up the pace, and follow His lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment