Thursday, November 8, 2012

Great Dark North

Even here in Alaska we were at least aware of the recently concluded election cycle. Like anyone else we voted and then followed the national returns with an eye on our own local results as well. And so it goes, and we resume our regular programming.

And, to be honest I've had my mind on other things.

I've had my mind on the SF Giants World Series win. I don't consider myself a rabid baseball fan (that's reserved for soccer) but the idea of the Giants winning it all now twice in my own lifetime is something I (or my grade school friends) never imagined. I have been sporting a Giants cap around town. But there remains, as always one perplexing question: If it's the "World" Series, why don't we invite any other countries to play?

I've had my mind on the encroaching darkness. Our Alaskan days are getting shorter, at a rate I have never encountered - probably because I've never lived this far north. Locals tell me to expect darkness by 3:30 on December afternoons. Some exaggerate and tell me it's more like 2:30. We live in a spectacularly beautiful place, but we may not see it again until late spring. Great Dark North it is.

I have had my mind on the "Church" as concept and as ideal. In recent years my notions of Church have changed, and trying now to put this to paper and thus transferable is a current challenge. I am seeing Church less as organization and more as family; not so much as static entity as dynamic movement. If the Church is a "family of missionary servants learning how to be and make disciples of Jesus," this has direct implications for how we talk about and gather the church here in Juneau and Southeast Alaska. It really has implications for how the Church functions as the Church.

I've had my mind on my wife. Then again, I've always had my mind on my wife. I am so glad I get to share this "middle age couple picks up and moves to Alaska to the bewilderment of their friends and family" adventure with her. Wouldn't trade it, and absolutely wouldn't trade her. And the fact she hasn't talked about upgrading is nice for me, too.

And I've had my mind on picking up new diversions, fun things to go out and do. I want to go stand up paddle boarding (this summer, when I can again actually see what the outside looks like) and bow hunting. But first I have to take up hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment