Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Price of Unity

I went to a gathering of area pastors yesterday. First time for me. Mentally attaching faces to names (and church buildings) was delightful.

I didn't know I was stepping into initiation traditions. There was no overt hazing. I didn't have to stand on a chair and sing my college fight song. But I was assigned duty to bring the devotional next month. It was also mandated that I will be the speaker at the city-wide Thanksgiving's Eve service. It's how they welcome the new guy, I guess.

I was blessed with the humility and heart for the city evidenced by each guy in the room. One guy made the point of saying, "When the Apostle Paul wrote letters to various churches, he wrote to the believers in that city. Those letters made no real mention of individual fellowships, denominational alliances or doctrinal distinctives between readers." This same guy went on to say that if true today, then we...the guys around yesterday's table...would be the elders the Apostle would have held up to particular responsibility as shepherds for our city. This resonated with me.

We had but two action items. We quickly and efficiently planned both next month's gathering, and the Thanksgiving's Eve service. The remaining time was devoted to hearing about and praying for each other; not as rival pastors but as brothers. A wounded but joyful brotherhood. And I was blessed to see how no one was territorial. No one campaigned for pole position. It hit me that a lot of good can come when no one is concerned over who gets the credit.

Truth be told, every church pastor has stories of pastors gatherings in their respective histories and prior cities; some a delight, and others not so much. At worst, pastors gatherings
can resemble a collection of bantam roosters pecking at each other in the barnyard. Or maybe more like a five year high school reunion where some of the alums still maintain a sparkling view of their own prowess and potential.

But at best it's just a group of guys who love Jesus, love their wives and kids, love the city, and even dare to love the other churches in town. Like knowing we're all on the same team. The price of unity.

(Thanks, Pat Costello for the cool photo.)


No comments:

Post a Comment