Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Things I will Miss, Part 2

I will miss Everett. Our first 14 years in the area were spent in upscale Mukilteo, where we lived in a nice neighborhood and our children attended nice schools with other nice children. Five years ago we moved to Everett. Everett has been different, more eclectic, more interesting and entertaining, and I will miss this town.

I will miss the giant aircraft carrier parked nearby. I will miss hearing the harbor seals barking when the wind blows onshore. I will miss Kate's, the Irishman, Buck's and Terracotta Red. I will miss Everett Sports Performance on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings. I will miss seeing people walking with their kids to evening hockey games.

I will miss local residents who decorate their yards for Halloween...and leave the decor up year round. I will miss evening walks with Deb in the marina after happy hour at Woodfire or Lombardi's. I will miss wondering if the sound I just heard was backfire or gunfire. I already miss my police scanner. I will miss friendly police and sheriff personnel who are never more than a minute or two away from responding.

I will miss my own neighbors who have become friends: Nelson and Dana, Kevin and Paula, Ghaly and Sue, Louise, Sharyn, Barb and Rhema, Pat and Carole, Mike and Melissa, and Dave and Jan. I will miss the monthly "Block Watch" potlucks and meetings in our home.

I will miss the men who pastor churches in our city. Scott Mitchell, Matthew Savage and Ken Sutton have been to me dear brothers and co-laborers, and none of them felt it necessary to point out the disparity in our ages.

And I will miss responding to people who ask, "You live in Everett? By choice?"


No comments:

Post a Comment