Friday, January 6, 2012

Indigenous

We're moving to Alaska at the end of this month. We are tasked with becoming indigenous to a new community. We've been through this before.

Moving to Seattle for college I never became indigenous. Didn't want to. Moved to Portland for seminary, and became indigenous fairly quickly. Moved to California's Gold Country where it took me five of my six years there to become indigenous. Deb had to show me how. Moved to San Diego. I was indigenous in five minutes.

Moved back to the Northwest where I struggled to be indigenous, but one day into my fourth year the light came on (not necessarily the sun, mind you.) And now we're soon off to Southeast Alaska.

Locals in Juneau wear XtraTuf boots. Year Round. Even in the summer. Even with shorts. I'm told it's how one can tell the difference between a resident and a tourist.

Becoming indigenous is an attitude, and an intention. I intend to become indigenous as quickly as God will allow. Maybe it's one aspect of living in and loving a city and its people.

I have a beard, plaid shirts, a serious rain jacket, snow shoes and a gun or two. And, Oh yeah; Deb and I now have our Xtratuf's. Insulated, because we're not quite yet indigenous.

No comments:

Post a Comment