Thursday, January 12, 2012

LED

I am a native Southern Californian. I am proud to be a native Santa Barbarian. I am good at sitting on a beach. I am a decent waterman. I am not adverse to being tan. Of the many things positive we look forward to in Alaska, the advent of quickly looking like a giant bag of mayonnaise is not one of them.

Apparently vitamin D can reduce the symptoms of SAD ("Seasonal Affective Disorder," or in my case "Sucky Attitude Daily.") So Deb and I have proactively responded to the challenge of reversing the affects the lack of sunshine might have on her, and certainly will have on me. We've purchased a portable, plugin artificial sunlight contraption.

Now we're adjusting to reading the morning paper and sipping morning coffee with a very bright blue light an arm's length away. Something about this all seems so very silly. I may in time have a better attitude, but being blinded for a half hour or so after each session will take some getting used to.

Maybe God will hear my plea and let the sun shine in Juneau every once in a while. Or maybe He'll tell me to stop complaining and just deal with it. Or maybe He'll just tell me to embrace my soon to be glowing mayonnaise complexion. Or maybe this is all God's way of providing for my safety by making it easier for me to  blend in with the snow when bears are about.

No comments:

Post a Comment