Monday, March 25, 2013

Confidence

In the past weeks it's been my privilege to preach and teach, and I've been grateful for every opportunity. But in retrospect I also see where I've failed to communicate some vital truths.

Two weeks ago in our own living room I taught from Acts 5:12-16. I thought I had adequately handled the text, but something went missing. I had not taught gospel. I had not focused our community gathering on how Jesus is the hero and the solution. I think I ended up confusing everyone. Someone had to ask me, "What was your main point?" Humbling.

Last week I preached at Radiant Church in Fairbanks. My five-page sermon ended up being a four-page sermon. I completely bypassed an entire page. No harm done. Maybe. (They're a grace-filled, forgiving lot, they are.)

Last night, with our gospel community gathered once again and soup consumed I led us through the remainder of Acts 5, the "Apostles Arrested and Freed" my Bible's text heading says. We talked about the confidence these apostles had, even on the heels of being imprisoned and whipped. They left the city council meeting "rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the Name."

These guys were so confident in Jesus, the hero and solution that they could be joyful in spite of their circumstances. They knew who God is and what He's done informed who they were and how they were to live. Confident in their identity. The story is inspiring, for sure. But I dropped the proverbial ball.

Confidence in the promises of Jesus comes from the resurrection, the historical Easter event we celebrate each spring. If God can raise a man from the dead, to never die again, He can and will certainly do the same for us. Confidence in the presence and power of the Holy Spirit is "God with us," and serves as a "down payment" on the fact that God's full gospel promises can be trusted, as good as already done.

But that same confidence is given for a purpose. More than just to make us feel secure, even joyful, we are given gospel confidence for mission. If anyone on the planet can be confident it should be the Jesus-followers. And this confidence should then translate us into our living as gospel evidence, united in community, and as heralds of the God Who reached down to us when we were unable and refused to reach up to Him.

Those apostle guys were confident because they were eye-witnesses to a risen Lord. And while I can put no confidence in myself (scroll back up, for just a few examples) I can and have full confidence in the God who has freed me to talk it up and live it out, bearing witness to what He's done and will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment