Thursday, March 7, 2013

Volunteerism

The weather is changing. We think. For the better. Our last few days have featured cold morning temps, clear skies and spectacular views of snow-covered mountains in all directions. It is not hard to like Juneau, whatever the weather...though some weather options are preferable to others.

The morning temps and clear skies and spectacular views of snow-covered mountains in all directions (see above) also caused me to acknowledge the approaching closing of this school year. My substitute teacher skills will not be required over the summer months. I'm fine with that.

But the question hit me, "What to do with the time?"

I have a church to gather. This is my motivation to get out of bed each morning. There is plenty to do and lots of people to meet. And I am encouraged in the growth taking place in our midst. Truth be told, I myself am growing through this journey and process.

But I will have other hours to devote myself to meaningful pursuits, apart from church stuff, but connected all the same this summer.

Deb came home from UAS (the University of Alaska Southeast, where she is gainfully employed), with an idea - that we give some volunteer hours serving the Juneau Convention & Visitors Bureau. These seasonal volunteers greet visitors (arriving to the airport, ferry terminal or on the many cruise ships) and dispense information related to the many (and I mean many) tourist activities (meaning ways to spend money) available in our fair city. I applied online, and was accepted. With some training and some "familiarization tours" (doing  the fun stuff for free) I should be good to go. And as it is, it appears I meet the requirements:

1. Friendly, outgoing personality - ENTJ on the Myers -Briggs (unintentionally causing fear in all introverts.) Check!
2. Must be 18 years or older - Check! Decades beyond Check!
3. Ability to communicate comfortably and articulately - I assume in English. Check!
4. Ability to work well with a team or individually - I assume that means with Deb. Check!
5. Reliable - Check! (Where's the Boy Scout motto when I need it?)
6. Punctual - I don't sleep through the night anymore anyway, so Check!
7. Enthusiastic - for this city? Who wouldn't be? Check!

This will be fun! And it will be entertaining to greet people wearing their University of Wherever in the Midwest sweatshirts while sporting fishing hats from Ketchikan and bags from the T Shirt Factory as they ask where they can see bears.

I'll just send them over to my neighborhood. For free.

No comments:

Post a Comment