Monday, March 18, 2013

Fairbanks

We tried to get there on Friday. Snow and fog prevented planes from landing in Juneau, hence we stayed landed in Juneau. On Saturday we tried again to make our way to Fairbanks, successfully this time.

We were greeted by dear friends who exude warm hearts and an open home. We feasted on moose burgers, were introduced to the family's hedge hog, and talked late into the night, while keeping one eye toward the living room window, hopeful of a moose sighting. (Didn't happen. Next time maybe.)

Late in the evening some of us jumped into a warm car and made our way to a frozen field somewhere north of Fairbanks, past the pipeline, past the brewery and witnessed an incredible show. The Northern Lights were out in a big way, and we stood with our necks craned as we looked overhead. To see the Aurora Borealis had been a life-long dream for my bride, and I think I was happier for her than even for myself to finally see the heavens dance near the top of the world. I was almost teary eyed listening to her delight; the fact that I was severely under-dressed for the occasion (and the -1 temp) did little to distract me.

Sunday morning greeted us with spectacular blue skies. But admittedly the few hours of sleep also greeted me with a foggy head. It was my privilege to preach to Radiant Church, and though I was not blessed with mental clarity we were absolutely blessed by our Radiant friends. What a humble joy it is for us to be aligned with that church. More than simple association it feels like family. They have modeled the gospel to us by adopting us into their family. We came to be a blessing, and walked out the ones blessed. Funny how that happens. And we saw dog sledding races on our way home. How crazy is that ?!

With a couple of hours to spare before our departure we decided to go to the World Ice Sculpture park. It was incredible. One one hand it seems these artists have too much free time (and extra ice available), while on the other hand the art was spell-binding. But I will admit, the cold distracted me more than it had the night previous. There are times I am reminded I'm still adapting to Alaska.

Deb and I flew out late afternoon, and arrived safely home with our luggage and a large box filled with moose and caribou meat products. Our freezer is full. Our hearts are full. It was a 39-hour whirlwind of a weekend, and our hearts are full.

We love Fairbanks because we love the people in Fairbanks. And our Lord again expressed His love for us, this time through those same people.

No comments:

Post a Comment