Thursday, March 29, 2012

Business Trip

I took my first "business trip" in a long time, this time to Anchorage. I went to meet with pastor guys, to share my calling and vision for a new church in Juneau. I went to align my heart and ideas with those of other men who love Jesus and His Church; who love the idea of more people coming to faith because of new churches being planted in Alaska and the circumpolar north.

After botching my departure flight schedule (because I'm either out of practice or just plain stupid) I finally arrived in Anchorage four and a half hours later than planned. I then found myself in conversations non-stop, conversations that both inspired and encouraged me.

I conversed with people representing three different churches, churches that are motivated by the Great Commission and are enthusiastic about aligning ideas and resources to partner in seeing new churches get started. It is still amazing to me that when people no longer care who gets the credit, other than God of course, some incredible, other-worldly things can happen. I was humbled to see how we concentrated on what we held in common rather than what we each might have held as distinctives.

And I realized I am not on the resourcing end, but am again in the needing resources end. I am not yet in a position to be a giver, but instead I am in receiving mode. For a new church, and ultimately many churches to be initiated in Juneau and southeast Alaska I need other people's participation, other people's partnership. I am more aware than ever that I need people praying for me, for us, for this region. This new work is teaching me to pray like I never have prayed before, in new fervency and from a position of new humility. It's not unlike when each of my children left our home to begin their adult lives - I couldn't see them regularly, so I learned to write letters each week. And I learned to pray out of a new dependency on God. Empty nest parents learn this because it's what we're given to continue our parenting.

I did make it back home. I stuck to the flight plan. I arrived home glad to see my bride, inspired and encouraged, quite fatigued and in need of a new diet. I arrived home knowing I am not the only person who cares, that there are countless others God has positioned in this area to be the Church.

And again this morning I attended the Bible Study at the State Capitol. God has placed His people in all sorts of places. And I know God has placed Deb and me here in Juneau, so perhaps many more people can  be His people too.

No comments:

Post a Comment