Friday, March 16, 2012

Humility Can Feel Okay

I was humbled yesterday. And I was blessed. I felt and feel okay, better than okay.

I was humbled to be invited to join in with the Alaska State Government officials and workers who gather on early Thursday mornings for Bible Study and to encourage each other. I dressed better than usual. I was the only civilian in the room. At that early hour titles and positions are done away with. Everything on a first name basis. They're there solely because they love Jesus. Upon introduction to one gentleman he asked me, "Are you Debbie's husband?" I was humbled to know my wife gives me credibility. (I should have figured that out long ago.)

I was humbled to enjoy a dinner conversation with Deb and long time friend Shaun McFarlane. How encouraged I was to hear how God is using Shaun to make disciples, and giving Shaun a wider sphere of influence in his church in Anchorage. Shaun discipled my own son back in the day, to my gratitude. He told us old stories, many of which involved our offspring. Some of the stories I wish I had not heard. (Boys will be boys.)

I felt humbled in realizing the kids and coaches at JDHS are freely welcoming me into their world. They are all making my late afternoons (sometimes early evenings) really fun, even as I am still trying to remember how to coach. I am humbled to know that being "the assistant to the assistant" is a right fit for me.

I am humbled to be here in Juneau. I almost feel guilty I like it here so much (like I should be suffering a great deal more than I am, since I'm not suffering at all.) And I am humbled in acknowledging daily that every step I take forward, any movement toward the establishment of a church here is God-ordained, and not Mike-directed. Being humbled is better than okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment